Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Giant Swallowtail June Update & Monarch Sighting


Today I'm happy to report that, so far,  three of the seven Giant Swallowtail chrysalises that wintered over in the cage have eclosed -- June 8th, June 9th and 10th -- one each day! I released them from the cage and they were strong enough to soar into the trees.  

Last August I had gathered the eggs off my rue plants and raised the resulting caterpillars in a cage.  They formed their chrysalis in the cage (the last one formed 9/10/18) which I left outdoors on our covered porch all winter long with temps going into the single digits at times.




Also today I spotted our first monarch butterfly of the season.  She was laying eggs on the milkweed in our yard -- here's a good shot of her on the milkweed depositing an egg.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!