Saturday, March 4, 2017

Spring is in the Air !



It's March 4th and even though the temperature is only 19F right now, Spring is definitely in the air!  

Today I visited my favorite garden/feed center to purchase seed starting mixture and peat pots to start some of my plants early under lights at home. 

I chose a soiless mixture consisting of mostly peat moss that is sterile, lightweight and free from seeds.  The containers I chose are pressed peat moss that can be planted in the garden right along with the starter plant. 

A few years ago I purchased a 3-tiered light system that is set up in my basement laundry room, conveniently located near the sink for a water source. Each shelf has a set of lights above it that are on 12 hour timers.

3-tiered shelf system with lighting above each shelf


Pressed peat pots filled with soiless planting mixture



Today, I'm seeding the Asclepias Curassavica (Tropical Milkweed), Ruby Glow Romaine Lettuce, and Early Marvel Brussels Sprouts.  The lettuce and Brussels sprouts plants can be set out in the garden in early Spring, since they like the cool weather.    Our area of New York is considered Zone 5b or 6a and our last frost is around May 31st, so the heat-loving tropical milkweed plants won't be planted outside until after that date.  

I'll press 2 or 3 seeds into each pot.  When they emerge, I'll save the healthiest sprout, leaving just one seedling in each pot.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!