Thursday, September 1, 2016

Growing and Drying Herbs

It's always nice to have fresh herbs straight from your garden, when possible. You don't need a large area in which to grow them, either.  I attached a window box planter to a sunny spot on our porch railing and am growing parsley, oregano, rosemary, basil and chives in this 2 foot by 6 inch area.  





There's a patch of spearmint that always grows through a crack in the concrete patio below, so we have fresh mint to enjoy, too.  Late in the season toward Fall, I begin drying bunches of my favorite herbs to use during the winter. 




I'm not an expert, but this is what I do.  I gather the herbs on a dry, sunny day and spray them with the hose to get off any dirt and bugs that may be attached to them.  Shake out the herbs to remove most of the water and pat them with paper towels.  Then gather them in a bunch and tie with a rubber band.  That way, when the herbs start to dry and the stems shrink, the rubber band will shrink around them.





Hang the herbs from a clothes hanger or herb rack in a warm, dry area out of the direct sunlight.  When dry, you can strip the leaves from the stems and store in a baggy.  Be sure they're completely dry, though, or they will get moldy in the plastic bag.  I don't put the herbs in bags, but just hang the dry bunches in the pantry. 

1 comment:

  1. That was very helpful, I have some herbs that I will try drying out now that I know how, thanks you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!