Friday, September 9, 2016

Monarch Waystation Update






The monarch butterflies are about to begin their migration toward their winter home in Mexico. The number of monarchs has been steadily decreasing, so a few years ago I decided to provide a yard that could help sustain them as they migrate through North America.

With that in mind, I planted lots of milkweed varieties and flowers for nectar sources to do my little part to help increase the population.

I found most of my information through Monarch Watch and after completing the requirements for a waystation, ordered my site sign to make it official.



The monarchs seem to especially like the bright zinnias and fragrant butterfly bushes (buddlea). The purple buddlea shown in the photo was grown from a seed dropped by a bird or blown through the wind and I transplanted the resulting seedling into the area behind the potting shed. That was three years ago. The bush is huge now. This is the area of the yard where I find the largest amount of monarch eggs.  I think it's because it's very secluded -- or maybe they can read ; )






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!